Care and maintenance of goose and duck down padded items: Assopiuma’s useful advice for ideal maintenance.
Feather/down padded design items are a luxury that offer unparalleled comfort and elegance. High-quality paddings guarantee a unique feeling of softness and warmth, transforming each feather padded item into a moment of pure relaxation.
It is important to allow your goose and duck down padded products to ‘breathe’. You should open windows regularly to allow for natural ventilation. The best time of the day is early in the morning, since the air is fresher and the sun is not excessively strong. This will help eliminate all odours and maintain the padding light and full of volume.
However, to maintain these marvellous objects in their original state, it is essential to provide adequate care and maintenance. In this article, Assopiuma will share precious advice to take care of all your interior design items in goose and duck feather: from the duvet on your bed to the feather cushions on your sofa, in order to enjoy them for a long time.
- Shake regularly: To maintain the beautiful volume of your cushions or duvets, it is important to regularly “move” the feathers. Delicately squeeze the padding to make it go back to its original shape. This simple gesture will help keep the goose feather distributed in a uniform manner and will prevent the emergence of flat or deformed areas. Avoid shaking the padded objects too violently (do not use a beater), because the feathers may break and lose their natural volume. Carefully brush the seams.
- Protect from liquids: Avoid exposing your feather padded furniture to liquids and substances that could stain it. In case of accidents, immediately dab the area with a clean and absorbing cloth, without rubbing, so the stain does not penetrate even further.
- Professional cleaning: To maintain your goose down padded furniture clean and fresh you can use professional cleaning services. Make sure you contact a specialist in the field who uses techniques and products that are suitable for this kind of padding. This will ensure in-depth yet delicate cleaning without damaging the feathers. In any case, always avoid bleaching.
- Home cleaning: duvets can be cleaned in the washing machine with a delicate cycle at 40°C (pay attention to the label of the item and any specific instructions for use for the surface fabric in the case of quilts). Use liquid detergents (not powdered laundry soap) and do at least 2 rinsing cycles after the wash. Hang to dry outdoors, but not in direct sunlight, or indoors but not on heat sources.
- Fresh air and ventilation: It is important to allow your goose and duck down padded products to ‘breathe’. You should open windows regularly to allow for natural ventilation. The best time of the day is early in the morning, since the air is fresher and the sun is not excessively strong. This will help eliminate all odours and maintain the padding light and full of volume.
- Change of season: to store your products away during the summer, let the feathers breathe adequately (as explained in point 5), then cover them with a cotton cloth or put them in the dedicated bags they come in upon purchase. This will protect your padded items from dust. Always avoid plastic bags or wrappings, since they will prevent the feathers from breathing.
With these few and simple rules, your feather padded design items will live a long and prosperous life.
Cover photo thanks to: Molina